Our country India is very famous for its amazing and adorable beauty, architectural styles, cultures, traditions and historical past. It is one of the most diverse heritages in the world. Being ornamented with historical monuments, it has a majestic past of Mughals and British that speak of the history. Museums of India are the best way to learn about the history, culture and society of India.The extensive bouquet of knowledge that India has in its museums can beat the encyclopedias or search engines any given time.
Lets explore the most famous and most important museums of India. Here we go!
- NATIONAL MUSEUM, DELHI
1. It was established in 1949.
2. It is an amazing collection of displays and exhibits of Indian history right from the days of the Mohenjodaro and Harappan civilizations to modern times.
3. It is one of the most visited museums.
- INDIAN MUSEUM, KOLKATA
1. It was established in 1814.
2. It is divided into thirty-five galleries that display the scientific works of Archaeology, Art, Anthropology, Botany, Geology, and Zoology of the country.
3. Being one of the oldest museums in the globe, it is one of the most sought after places of India that one must not give a miss on holidays in Kolkata.
- GOVERNMENT MUSEUM, CHENNAI
1. It was established in 1851.
2. The museum has excellent sections showcasing the main south Indian times encompassing, Chaulkyas, Chola and Vijaynagar.
3. It exhibits different varieties pertaining to geology, zoology and anthropology and botany.
- SALAR JUNG MUSEUM, HYDERABAD
1. It was established in 1951.
2. The museum houses a collection of over 1.1 million artifacts and art pieces – all personally collected by Salar Jung III himself. One of the best collections here is the Clock Room – a gallery of clocks and timekeeping devices.
3. It got acknowledged as an institution of National importance by the Indian Parliament.
- NATIONAL RAIL MUSEUM, DELHI
1. It was established in 1977.
2. It has a great collection of more than 100 genuine size displays of Indian Railways and also some antique furnitures, working models, historical photographs, signaling tools and more.
3. It is one of the most favorite museum with children and rail enthusiasts.
- CALICO MUSEUM, AHMEDABAD
1. It was established in the year 1949.
2. It has a mind-blowing collection of fabrics ranging from pre-historic cloth paintings to the gorgeous Indian fabrics.
3. The museum chronicles the progress of the textile industry in different parts of the country.
- SHANKAR’S INTERNATIONAL DOLL MUSEUM, DELHI
1. It was established in 1965.
2. It has the collection of dolls which have been divided into two sections; one section consists of the dolls gathered from New Zealand, UK, USA, commonwealth of independent states while the other one comprises of dolls gathered from Middle East, India, Asian countries and Africa.
3. Additionally, they also have a glimpse of various collections of costumes dolls, representing Indian dances and traditions, pairs of bride and groom etc.
- NAPIER MUSEUM, THIRUVANANTHAPURAM
1. It was established in 1880.
2.The museum houses a great collection of historic artifacts such as the kathakali puppets models, musical instruments, Kerala chariots and bronze idols of gods and goddess.
3. The museum also has a special collection of Hindu god idols from Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
- CHATTRAPATI SHIVAJI VASTU MUSEUM, MUMBAI
1. It was established in 1922.
2. It comprises of three main sections such as the archeology section, natural history section and art section. Each section shows a variety of work of arts dating back to Gupta and Chaulkyas era.
3. This museum is considered as a heritage structure in Mumbai because of its admirable architecture.
So its time to discover the most famous museums of India. Go and have a look at the most amazing architectural style of India.
RELATED: Also know about the great Indian temples.